Manapol aloe vera extract
Manapol® is a polysaccharide found in aloe vera gel. A unique ingredient exclusive to Mannatech, Incorporated, Manapol is extracted from fresh, washed and filtered gel by a specialized extraction method that yields insoluble fibers and stabilized, high molecular weight (MW) soluble fibers rich in long-chain mannose sugars—beta-(1-4)-acetylated polymannans1.
Mannose is an important glyconutrient sugar that supports cell-to-cell communication2. Many attribute the benefits of topically and orally-applied aloe vera gel to its acetylated polymannan content and preliminary evidence suggests that acetylation increases the solubility of aloe mannans3.
The MW of over 20% of Manapol is >800,000. Preliminary evidence suggests that superior immunologic benefits may be provided by higher MW aloe gel extracts that have a higher mannose content1,4. Manapol also contains the monosaccharide sugars glucuronic acid, glucose, galacturonic acid, xylose, galactose, glucosamine, fucose, rhamnose and arabinose, and small amounts of protein, calcium, potassium and sulfate1,5,6.
- Luta G, McAnalley B. Aloe vera: chemical composition and methods used to determine its presence in commercial products. GlycoScience & Nutrition 2005;6:1-12.
- Alton G, Hasilik M, Niehues R et al. Direct utilization of mannose for mammalian glycoprotein biosynthesis. Glycobiology 1998;8:285-95.
- Gowda DC, Neelisiddaiah B, Anjaneyalu YV. Structural studies of polysaccharides from Aloe Vera. Carbohydr Res 1979;72:201-5.
- Leung MY, Liu C, Zhu LF, Hui YZ, Yu B, Fung KP. Chemical and biological characterization of a polysaccharide biological response modifier from Aloe vera L. var. chinensis (Haw.) Berg. Glycobiology 2004;14:501-10.
- Duncan C, Ramberg J, Sinnott R. Striking differences in Aloe vera gel carbohydrate composition, molecular weight and particle size distributions following processing will not be addressed by dietary supplement GMPs. Poster Presentation at the 5th Annual Natural Supplements Conference, January 17-20, 2008, Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine, San Diego, California.
- Luta G, Duncan C, Sinnott R. Chemical characterization of polysaccharide-rich ingredients from Aloe vera, Larix laricina and Larix occidentalis, and Undaria pinnatifida. Presented at the 6th Annual Natural Supplements Conference, January 22-25, 2009, Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine, San Diego, California.