Bokbunja black raspberry (Rubus coreanus) fruit extract
Rubus coreanus (also called Korean black raspberry and Japanese Briar Rose) is a species of raspberry native to Korea, Japan and China. It produces edible fruits that can be fermented into bokbunja ju, a Korean fruit wine. A source of vitamin C, plant sterols and flavonoids, the fruits have been used traditionally for a variety of purposes, including as a diuretic 1. In a study evaluating the in vitro pro- and anti-oxidant activities of 70 herbs used in Korean traditional medicine, R. coreanus ranked at the top of the antioxidant herbs2. In animal studies, R. coreanus extracts have demonstrated liver-protective 3,4, antioxidant5 and anti-inflammatory6 benefits. R. coreanus also improved body composition in animals5,7,8 and protected against fatigue 9 . In an open-label 4-week trial, 30 g/day intake of freeze-dried R. coreanus by 15 healthy men provided antioxidant benefits 10.
This ingredient can be found in the following products in United States:
- Li TSC. Chinese and Related North American Herbs: Phytopharmacology and Therapeutic Values. Boca Raton, Fla.: CRC Press, 2002.
- Ko SH, Choi SW, Ye SK, Yoo S, Kim HS, Chung MH. Comparison of anti-oxidant activities of seventy herbs that have been used in Korean traditional medicine. Nutr Res Pract. 2008;2:143-51.
- Nam MK, Choi HR, Cho JS et al. Inhibitory effects of Rubi Fructus extracts on hepatic steatosis development in high-fat diet-induced obese mice. Mol Med Rep. 2014;10:1821-7.
- Chae HJ, Yim JE, Kim KA, Chyun JH. Hepatoprotective effects of Rubus coreanus miquel concentrates on liver injuries induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats. Nutr Res Pract. 2014;8:40-5.
- Chung C, You Y, Yoon HG et al. Alleviation of weight-gain in mice by an ethanolic extract from Rubus coreanus under conditions of a high-fat diet and exercise. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2013;77:2148-50.
- Lim JW, Hwang HJ, Shin CS. Polyphenol compounds and anti-inflammatory activities of Korean black raspberry ( Rubus coreanus Miquel) wines produced from juice supplemented with pulp and seed. J Agric Food Chem. 2012;60:5121-7.
- Jeong MY, Kim HL, Park J et al. Rubi Fructus (Rubus coreanus) activates the expression of thermogenic genes in vivo and in vitro. Int J Obes (Lond). 2015;39:456-64.
- Oh DR, Kim Y, Choi EJ et al. Antiobesity Effects of Unripe Miquel and Its Constituents: An and Characterization of the Underlying Mechanism. Evid Based Complement Alternat.Med. 2016;2016:4357656.
- Jung KA, Han D, Kwon EK, Lee CH, Kim YE. Antifatigue effect of Rubus coreanus Miquel extract in mice. J Med Food. 2007;10:689-93.
- Lee JE, Park E, Lee JE et al. Effects of a Rubus coreanus Miquel supplement on plasma antioxidant capacity in healthy Korean men. Nutr Res Pract. 2011;5:429-34.