Calcium (as calcium gluconate)
Calcium Gluconate is a calcium salt of gluconic acid 1, 2 “which may be produced by neutralization of gluconic acid with lime or calcium carbonate” 2. A mineral or element necessary for normal cardiac, muscle, and nerve function, calcium as the gluconate salt works to maintain calcium balance as well as to support healthy bones when taken orally 1. Calcium gluconate is described as an odorless, tasteless white crystalline powder or granules, stable in air, soluble in water, and is a polymer 1. A polymer is a large molecule composed of repeated subunits or repeating chains 3. It is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for use in foods by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) CFR184.1199 2, 4.
This ingredient can be found in the following products in United States:
- EMPACT+® Performance drink mix dietary supplement - Slimsticks
- U. S. National Library of Medicine (NLM). National Institutes of Health (NIH). National Center for Biotechnology Information. Compound PubChem Open Chemistry database. Compound Summary for CID 9290. Calcium Gluconate https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/calcium_gluconate
- U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). 21CFR184.1199. Revised 4/01/2018. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=184.1199
- CHEBI: 60027 – Polymer. European Bioinformatics Institutes (EMBL-BI). https://www.ebi.ac.uk/chebi/searchId.do?chebiId=60027 Updated 10/08/2018
- U. S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR). 21CFR184.1199. Current as of 2/7/2019. https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=01e915852f54616f68de5e6bd6da80e9&mc=true&node=se21.3.184_11199&rgn=div8 and eCFR main page: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=3ee286332416f26a91d9e6d786a604ab&mc=true&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title21/21tab_02.tpl