Rice bran powder
Rice bran is made from the bran layer, underneath the hull layer of rice, Oryza sativa. The bran, or byproduct obtained while milling rice, makes up about 1/10th of the weight of rice grain 1,2 Rice bran, the outer brown layer, includes rice germ that is removed from the starchy endosperm via the milling process 1,2. Rice bran contains dietary fiber 3. Rice bran oil is a popular “healthy oil” in Asia, Japan, and especially India 3,4,5. Rice bran, as a co-product of milling, contains about 15-20% fat and 11-15% protein 6. Humans have been enjoying grain foods, including rice, for the past thousand years 7. For two-thirds of the population of the world, rice is the staple food 8. A number of studies reported in the Natural Medicines database, professional monograph on rice bran 9 show safe use in studies of up to 5 years.
This ingredient can be found in the following products in United States:
- Ambrotose LIFE™ Powder
- Ambrotose LIFE™ Slimsticks
- NutriVerus™ Powder
- Salem EG, El Hissewy A, Agamy NF, Abd El Barry D. Assessment of the quality of bran and bran oil produced from some Egyptian rice varieties. J Egypt Public Health Assoc 2014;89(1): 29-34. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24717398
- Bhosale S, Vijayalakshmi D. Processing and nutritional composition of rice bran. Curr Res Nutr Food Sci 2015;3(1). https://www.foodandnutritionjournal.org/?p=1298 or https://doi.org/10.12944/CRNFSJ.3.1.08
- Gul K, Yousuf B, Singh AK, Singh P, Wani AA. Rice bran: nutritional values and its emerging potential for development of functional food—A review. [Abstract]. Bioactive carbohydrates and dietary fibre 2015;6(1):24-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcdf.2015.06.002
- Sugano M, Koba K, Tsuji E. Health benefits of rice bran oil. [Abstract]. Anticancer Res 1999;19(5A):3651-7. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10625933
- Rohman A. In Eds Watson RR, Preedy VR, Zibadi S,. Rice bran oil’s role in health and cooking. [Abstract]. Wheat and Rice in Disease Prevention and Health. 1st Ed. Benefits, risks and mechanisms of whole grains in health promotion. Academic Press. 2014; Chapter 37:481-490. [Abstract]. ISBN: 978-0-12-401716-0.
- Muller-Fischer N. Nutrient-focused processing of rice. Agricultural Sustainability. Progress and Prospects in Crop Research. 2013, Ch. 10:197-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-404560-6.00010-1 (Subsription required). Rice Hull overview segments, including 2.1 Macronutrients, available from https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/rice-hulls
- Sharma R, Srivastava T, Saxena DC. Research article. Studies on rice bran and its benefits—A review. Int Journal of Engineering Research and Applications 2015;5(5)(Part 2);107-112. www.ijera.com beta-https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/3f50/8a234060190215509d0fa011dec7e1041f81.pdf
- Roy P, Orikasa T, Okadome H, Nakamura N, Shiina, T. Processing conditions, rice properties, health and environment. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2011 8(6):1957-1976. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3138007
- National Medicines database. Professional monograph. Rice Bran. Product ID 852. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/databases/food,-herbs-supplements/professional.aspx?productid=852 (Subscription Required).