Tart cherry, or sour cherry, is the fruit of the tree Prunus cerasus. Tart cherries, which are a favorite wild fruit in Spain and Portugal,1 are rich in numerous antioxidant polyphenols 2 and anthocyanins 3.
This ingredient can be found in the following products in United States:
- TruPLENISH™ Creamy Vanilla Nutritional Supplement Shake
- TruPLENISH™ Rich Chocolate Nutritional Supplement Shake
- Pardo-de-Santayana M, Tardio J, Blanco E et al. Traditional knowledge of wild edible plants used in the northwest of the Iberian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal): a comparative study. J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 2016;3:1-11.
- Wang H, Nair MG, Strasburg GM, Booren AM, Gray JI. Antioxidant polyphenols from tart cherries (Prunus cerasus). J Ag Food Chem 1999;47:840-4.
- Blando F, Gerardi C, Nicoletti I. Sour cherry (Prunus cerasus L) anthocyanins as ingredients for functional foods. J Biomed Biotechnol 2004;5:253-8.